The acquisition of a clubhose was a goal from the begining of the Fr. John M. Grady council. Under Grand Knight James A. McCoombs, the subject was elevated to major importance. In 1919, the present building on Westchester Avenue was purcahsed from Mr. Harry Morrell. A few individual members personally supplied the $1000 down payment. The balance was a mortage. A major carnival was held that year and was a rousing success. The entire lien on the property was paid off within one year.
The council took formal title of the property on September 4, 1919. To repair and remodel the building $4,000 in bonds were sold to members. A second carnival and a winter bazar held in the Ryan Building enabled the council to retire the bonds in two years as well as purchase neccesary furnishings for the clubhouse. As of 1925, the clubhouse was completely clear of any debt thanks to the loyalty of the members and the support of fund raising activities by the Port Chester community.
The cluhouse was dedicated on Saturday, May 1, 1930, by His Grace, Archbishop Patrick J. Hayes, (and later Cardinal) of New York. The ceremonies were attended by 5,000 prople. Westchester Avenue and surrounding streets were lined with spectators as the procession moved from Our Lady of Mercy Church to the clubhouse. On the porch of the clubhouse were Grand Knights from neighboring councils, officials of the Village of Port Chester, members of the Board of Education, and distinguished guests.
Through the next few decades, the exterior of the building remained virtually unchanged. Numerous interior renovations were made as council membership grew, activites expanded and a Ladies Auxiliary was created. In 1960, an addition was added to the existing building consisting of two floors. Each floor contains rest rooms and a fully equipped kitchen. The basement floor is a recreational room used for meetings, degrees and family events. The ground floor, which includes a ballroom, is used for social functions and large meetings.
Each generation of knights from the purchase of the building in 1919, to the addition in 1960, to the acquisition of the adjoining property in 1975, has had the foresight to maintain the clubhose and property in excellent condition.